Saturday, November 15, 2014

Digital Badge #K

Online learning and virtual schools have changed the way students seek an education.  Students attending college or High School want a variety of options, and the internet is offering those choices.  Individuals can take courses at home at their convenience and still get a valuable education.  Virtual schools allow High School students the capability for learning at home and the flexibility to learn at their pace.  As more colleges offer online classes, more students take the challenge of virtual learning.  It is becoming more the norm in education to take a classroom anywhere. 

There can be many reasons why students still in High School take online classes.  They learn at their pace, and classes are programmed according to their interests and unique learning styles.   The convenience of not having to attend a typical classroom provides more time for extra curriculum activities or job opportunities.  Even so, signing up for virtual courses has its pros and cons.  The student has to be self-discipline to fulfill their obligations and responsibilities.   This type of environment may not be for everybody because of the unusual arrangement.  In the long run, this exposure will prepare students for college schedules.  But regardless if they choose to opt for online courses, students should receive support at home in order to be successful.    

It seems that colleges are offering more online courses than ever before.  As I reviewed the classes I needed to take this semester, it seemed like there were more courses being offered online than the previous years.  I took my first online course during the summer and liked the flexibility it provided.   Among the many advantages, I did not have to drive to and from the campus, not only did this saved me time, but money on gas.  I opted to take more classes online for the fall semester, and as it turned out, I am currently taking three courses online.  I like the convenience and flexibility that online learning offers, but I would have preferred to have taken at least one course on campus.  The one I had chosen got canceled, and the only other option was to take it online.  I am getting used to the demanding schedule, but I admit that there are some weeks that I just want to give up!  I will struggle on because I made a commitment to myself and my education. 

 Each student’s learning capabilities are different, and some may need supplemental instruction, so I applauded those of us who have decided to join the revolution and be a part of online learning.  I did not think that online classes were my cup of tea, but as it turns out, they are not so terrible.  As long as you are self-disciplined and able to multitask, anybody who decides to take online classes should be just fine.  I realize that some courses should be taken in person, but the possibilities of learning anywhere and anytime is growing.  We live in the technology age and should take advantages of its conveniences. 


   

Resources

Maloy, R.W., Verock-O’Loughlin, R.E., Edwards, S.A., Woolf, B.P. (2014) Transforming Learning with New Technologies. Upper Saddle River: Pearson

1 comment:

  1. Online classes definitely demand self-discipline on the part of the learner, but I also think they help to create a more versatile and 21st century-prepared citizen as so much is done via the internet, students need to know how to navigate independently and communicate in a variety of asynchronous ways that a face-to-face class often does not address with the expected weekly schedule of teacher availability, etc. That said, I think there is still value in meeting face-to-face when possible, i.e., blended classes, but with the current set-up of online classes, it would most likely be difficult to get everyone to meet at the same day/time!

    Don't forget that you always need to give attribution to any images in your online publishing (blogs, wikis, webpages) and they should always be identified as public domain or Creative Commons licensed.

    ReplyDelete